Lullaby

Meet Myla.


Myla (the name her great-grandfather used to call her great-grandmother, short for "my love") is my cousin's daughter. She's almost two, my absolute favorite age in the world. I'm not really into the whole baby thing. But ages 2-5... perfect. Absolutely perfect.

This little cutie came up from Florida with her parents and older sister the week before Christmas. We were all hanging out at my house one afternoon, when Myla's mom and another one of my cousins had to go run some errands. Since they were leaving and it was Myla's nap time, I volunteered to put Myla down. Simple, right?

Not so much.

It wasn't awful. But for a good fifteen to twenty minutes, Myla screeeaaamed & cried & wailed for her mommy. I tried everything. I held her. Walked with her. Snuggled with her. Rubbed her back. Talked to her. Sang the typical lullabies. Nothing was working. Until I sang this:


I love John Denver. That's really weird for a 21 year old college student, isn't it? Well, I do. And while Leavin' on a Jet Plane will forever have a special place in my heart, I'm fairly certain Annie's Song is my favorite. It's simply beautiful, and I've always said that it's the song I plan on using as a lullaby for my own kids one day.
Come, let me love you. Let me give my life to you.
Let me drown in your laughter. Let me die in your arms.
Let me stay here beside you. Let me always be with you.
Come, let me love you. Come, love me again.
And after testing it out... I still plan on singing Annie's Song to my babies one day. It most definitely worked!


I mean like, instantaneously worked. I hadn't even finished singing the first line before she had stopped crying completely, and she was asleep before the end of the song. It was magical :)


Looks like I'm not the only John Denver fan in the family :)