Grandpa


I've started writing this post numerous times, yet I can't seem to find the words to express the emotions that have accompanied the past five days. Mostly because... this is a story in progress. I don't know how things are going to turn out. Fortunately, however, I'm trusting in the God who does. He's brought us this far, and I know He has an incredible plan for everything that's happening.

The day after Thanksgiving, my grandpa (dad's dad) was involved in a freak accident while working on his back deck that left him in critical condition in the trauma ICU at Baptist. He suffered multiple contusions and bleeding in/around his brain, and had emergency surgery on Saturday morning in order to give him a chance of surviving. In addition to the head trauma, he broke six ribs and has multiple fractures in his neck and back. Since being hospitalized, there have been many more scares: his fever shot up to 105.4, he started having seizures as a result of all the trauma, and neurosurgeons debated if he had suffered a stroke after the surgery.

Throughout everything, I have been simply overwhelmed with the love and support from extended family and friends. So many people have visited, brought food, hugged us as we cried in the waiting room, checked in on us each day, offered to help out in any way they can, and most importantly, prayed for our family during this time. I cannot even begin to express how thankful I am for such an incredible Christian community. Seriously.

The most amazing thing to me is the fact that most of these people didn't even know what happened. I changed my Facebook status to "praying for Grandpa" and that's all it took for my phone to literally fill up with countless messages from friends reminding me that they're here for me, they love me, they're praying, and they are willing to help out however they can. Not a single person asked about the details of the accident; it didn't matter. All that mattered was that my family was hurting and needed prayers.

And honestly? We still need prayers! The two most damaged areas of grandpa's brain are the areas that control his speech and movement on the right side of his body. We have no way of knowing how badly this has been affected until he wakes up... which could be days or even weeks from now. Until then, all we can do is pray. We are so grateful for the peace that has surrounded our family during this time, and we know that whatever happens, God is in control.

The CT scans show definite improvement -- his brain is well on its way to its original position/shape and the swelling is going down. His fever has been reduced to a much more manageable 100ish. The seizures are easily controlled with medicine, and the neurosurgeons have decided that he has NOT had a stroke. Every day brings another miracle, another blessing.

The Thanksgiving season may be over, but I am still so, so thankful for such a loving and supportive Christian community. I am thankful for answered prayers. I am thankful for a God who has wrapped Himself around our family during this time.

And I am thankful for my grandpa.