You Make Me Smile

Yesterday was just one of those days. You know, the "oh my goodness, I can't believe how many papers and projects I have to do before the semester is over" days. Friends, I wasn't just riding the struggle bus when I woke up---I was driving the thing. I said a little prayer for strength and motivation to make it through the final month or so of this semester and attempted to start my day. Still feeling overwhelmed and stressed, I texted Zach and asked him to pray for me as well. He responded with: "I would love to pray for you! No worries, sweet girl. I've got you covered."


Boyfriend prays good :)

Seriously though, I walked outside my dorm to find the early morning sun absolutely beaming across campus. So gorgeous. Like the failure of a blogger I am (eek, that's my first time identifying myself as a "blogger" --- still don't know how I feel about that), I didn't have my camera with me, so I whipped out my cell phone and begin clicking away. For a not-so-snazzy LG Chocolate Touch, I'm fairly impressed.


It was one of those fleeting moments---by the time I had trekked across campus to the Marketplace, the sun had finished showing off for the morning and was just chilling in the sky. And although I still had just as many papers to write and projects to complete, life seemed a whole lot better.


When I got back from breakfast, I swung by the laundry room to get a load of clothes out of the dryer. As I opened the door to the dryer, I heard something fall out and hit the ground... and I was beyond surprised to see this:


Seriously?! At Pilgrimage, we have these clothespins that say "Jesus Loves You" on one side and "Pass It On" on the other. Throughout the weekend, it becomes almost a game to pin them to the back of people's shirts without them noticing. Apparently, someone was quite successful at clipping one onto my shirt & it survived a trip through the washer and dryer without my knowing, only to fall out of the dryer exactly when I needed a little pick-me-up. I busted out laughing and thanked God for my multiple smiles---multiple blessings---of the morning. Isn't He just the best?




Some of my other smiles from the past week include the following:


1. Text Message Hangman


I'm not kidding. Back when I rowed for Duke Crew, I discovered that it was a wonderful way to keep myself entertained while riding on a bus for eight hours at a time, and Zach was nice enough to play along. We haven't played in over a year, but when I texted him this past week with a Corrie-esque "I so bored" while working at the Coffeehouse, this is what he responded with. Totally unexpected and made me smile. By the way, I'm always down for some text message hangman if anyone wants to strike up a game later today.

PS. Zach has the "a." in front of his name in my contacts list so he's the very first one. Not because he's my favorite person ever, although he pretty much is, but simply because it's a lot easier to explain to your boyfriend that your ultra-sensitive touch phone butt-dialed him than it is to explain the same thing to his close friend, Adam. It's happened. More than once.


Back to my smiles of the week...


2. Cody "Crisco" Harrison


The infamous week that Zach and I were co-counselors back in 2007, Cody was our partner-in-crime. All of our six year olds loved that their leaders were "Zach and Cody." (They also decided that Bobby and Chuck looked exactly like Drake and Josh. If you don't understand any of these references, the fact that you are not subjected to Disney Channel and Nickelodeon is a reason enough to be thankful). Even though Cody wasn't Brethren (gasp!), Alyson and I decided he was pretty cool and the three of us were pretty much inseparable the entire summer.

Cody deleted his Facebook (gasp again!) probably like... I don't know, a year and a half ago? And unlike everyone else I know, he hasn't broken down and gotten it back. A couple of weekends ago, I got a comment on my blog that said, "Hi. I live in Salem VA. You're cute! And I'm cool. Let's be friends?" Of course, in ultimate creeper fashion, he didn't sign his name, but it didn't take me long to figure out that Crisco was behind the whole thing :)

As if that wasn't reason enough to make me smile, his comment on my recent post about the Marine Corps in reference to how it's perfectly okay to talk and ask questions and learn about things that are sometimes considered awkward & hush-hush cracked me up:


And there you have it. He not only makes excellent use of "unabashedly" (Kacey & I have been into the big vocabulary this week), but also makes a valid point. How do you learn if you're too afraid to ask questions? I have a link to my Formspring at the top of the page (or right here, if scrolling is too much work) where you can unabashedly and anonymously ask any questions you want about whatever you want for a mega Q&A post I'm doing at the end of the month.


And my final smile of the week?



I searched "smile" on weheartit.com to find some cute little picture for the end of this post and this is what popped up. Not exactly what I had in mind, but I'm all about some JBiebs, so there you go. Ignore the awful typography layout---I didn't make it, obviously.


Oh, and one more thing...!


After my final class this afternoon, I am heading to Bridgewater to see some of my most favorite people in the world!



It didn't make my "smiles of the week" list simply because it falls somewhere in the "smiles of the month/year/my life" category! I'll be back Saturday :)