Heritage Day Recap

This past weekend, I drove three and a half hours to the mountains of southwest Virginia to be reunited with my best friend :)

A lot of people make fun of me for over-using the phrase "best friend"; I'll be the first to admit that I do say it quite a bit. But this kid... he's in the top four of my "favorites" on my phone, next to my mother & two closest girl friends from high school. Legit. Best. Friend.

While I was still thirty minutes away from Fincastle, I received a phone call from Damon (phone call #5 of the trip, maybe?). After asking him to repeat what he was saying a few times, I was finally able to make out, "LOOKTOYOURLEFT!"

And there was Damon... in the lane beside me... wearing a yellow beanie much like the one I was wearing.


I told you: Legit. Best. Friend.


We arrived in Fincastle together, only to be reunited with more of our best friends :)



And the following twelve hours were spent getting lost in the sparks of a campfire:



Eating hotdogs & cookies & s'mores:



Catching up on the past two months of life since summer camp ended:



And simply having a blast being together, reunited once more:



Oh, and I may have debuted my ukulele skills while everyone else sang. No big deal :)



We also spent the night making apple butter (my favorite fall tradition EVER), which has to be stirred continuously over an open fire for 12 or so hours. Everyone signed up for an hour shift with a partner, and yours truly was blessed with 4:30AM-5:30AM. It's safe to say that I didn't get any sleep.

But then again, neither did anyone else. It's hard to sleep when there's still so much catching up to do. It's also hard to sleep when it's 45 degrees outside...



And thus, we kicked off fall the only way I know how: with coats & scarves & birthday celebrations...



...and barrel train rides and playing on playgrounds and pretending to be five years old again...



...and Brethren traditions and baked goods and silly pictures...



...and hugs and laughter and more best friends...



...and precious ginger babies...



...and impromptu jam sessions on the guitar & harmonica...



...all nestled away in the hills of our Virginia, where the whippoorwills are calling & the crystal springs are flowing :)



It was an absolutely perfect Heritage Day, indeed.



Pinterest | Etsy | Formspring