All The Things

True story: I want to do it all. You know, do "all the things." I'm an overachiever at a school known for its insane breed of overachievers, which only perpetuates my overachieving status. Overload on classes during my senior year of college? Yes, please! Work two jobs and an internship while being a full-time student? That sounds lovely! Volunteer three days a week in the Durham Public Schools? Sign me up! Plan hall events, fill out duty logs & incident reports, spend evenings on call? Sure, why not!?



Except after four straight months, it looks more like this:

Womp.


Balance. I'm learning it ever so slowly. Balancing 37,294 all-nighters with trips to Cookout and Starbucks in order to maintain a small bit of sanity. Balancing 2893 pages worth of papers with Thursday night small group Bible study. Balancing an infinite number of psychology powerpoint slides with family Christmas get-togethers.


Balancing one-on-one meetings and evaluations with the Christmas cantata at my home church.



Balancing time spent at the dentist with time spent playing with my kitty.


She's cute. Meow.


Balancing the things I have to do with the things I want to do. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot more of "things I have to do" than "things I want to do" on my list these days. But we're getting there...


Slowly but surely, I'm checking things off my epic whiteboard wall. I'm counting down the days until exams are over. I'm counting down the days until Zach is home. I'm counting down the days until I can go to bed and not move for at least a week, maybe two.

And who knows? Maybe next time around, I'll be better about not trying to do all the things -- enjoying the semester instead of simply surviving it. Or maybe I won't; maybe I'll still attempt all the things. It might be infinitely more stressful, but it sure isn't boring.

Or maybe, just maybe, I'll get the hang of this whole balance thing and reach some point of equilibrium. Until then, ebb and flow, baby. Ebb and flow.


Pinterest | Etsy | Formspring