If I Were Not On Summer Staff

True story: I enjoyed creating my sketchbook post from last month so much that I decided to do it more often. As much as I love drawing & designing with two fingers and a trackpad, nothing beats the good ol' paper and pen :)

The theme of today's page in my sketchbook?

"If I were not on summer staff, I'd tell you what I'd be..."

It's the opening line to a little sing-songy/skit we do at the summer camp where I've worked, always followed by: "a [insert job title here] I would be." If you don't know what I'm talking about, you should probably add "camp counselor" to your own list.

While graphic designer is still number one on the agenda, there's a whole list of jobs that I think would be pretty cool to have. Not for a long-term career, or anything. More along the lines of "If I suddenly became a billionaire (ha!) and did not have to work for the rest of my life, I would probably alternate between these part time jobs just for fun." Keep reading; I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

1. Whole Foods employee
(complete with hipster glasses, obviously)


I had this genius idea (and you can't deny that it's genius) the last time I was in Whole Foods. I mean, seriously -- how much fun would it be to work here? I love Whole Foods, I love the people who shop at Whole Foods, and did I mention the 20% employee discount? Yes, please :) After working in a coffeehouse for four years, I've realized that I also like being educated -- I like understanding everything that goes into making an espresso-based drink, and I like being able to distinguish between a latte and a cappuccino. Likewise, I think I'd learn a lot at Whole Foods that I could apply to my own grocery-purchasing life. It definitely tops my "awesome odd jobs" list.


2. Post office employee

If you've kept up with this blog for any amount of time, you're well aware of my absurd love for snail mail. When I was in high school, this was my dream part-time college job... for real. I wouldn't want to be the person who actually delivers the mail -- the thought of having to stop my vehicle on the side of my road every fifteen seconds while cars speed past me is semi-terrifying. But to actually work in the post office, handling the mail, knowing that I played a significant role in a letter's journey from one destination to another? Imagining the stories behind the letters? That would be SO cool. The more I think about it, the more obsessed I become... so it's definitely going on the bucket list, even if it's just shadowing someone for a day.


3. Gymnastics coach


I had never really thought about this one until this week: there was an ad in our student newspaper for a part-time gymnastics instructor opening with Bull City Gymnastics in Durham. It said a gymnastics background wasn't necessary, but I've got ten years of experience and a couple of state championships in that department :) I found myself in the process of replying to the opening before I remembered that I currently have three part-time jobs, as well as a full-time student status, so I decided that it probably wasn't the best idea. But still. Now I want to be back in the gym and work with kids and have an excuse to live it up on the Tumbl Trak.



4. Secretary

I would also secretly like to be a secretary. After visiting my dad at work as a child (he's not a secretary, by the way), I gathered that the symbols of having a really cool job were: 1) a sweet desk, 2) a swivel chair, and 3) a dry erase board with lots of markers. I imagine that I could have all three of these things as a secretary, plus I would get to type a lot, which I love to do. I would write a lot, which I like to do, and I would proofread other's writings. And I could be really organized... and create awesome letterhead... and maybe even design company newsletters or something. I realize that all sounds rather boring to most people, but to me, it seems rather low-stress and right up my alley. Perhaps I will become a secretary when I retire someday. I think I would make an awfully cute old lady secretary :)


5. A.C. Moore employee

I almost worked here in high school. As in: I went to the store, got an application, filled it out... and then realized that I would spend double my paycheck in the store if I was there all the time.




Yep, it's a problem! I would undoubtedly have the same issue if I worked there today, so I guess it's best to stay as far away as possible unless absolutely necessary ;)



If I hadn't already worked in a coffeehouse for four years, I would definitely add that to my list as well. It's been a really neat opportunity that I wouldn't trade for anything! I'm also incredibly grateful for five summers of working at camp; some of my best memories come from my time on staff and I can't imagine my life without those experiences :)


So tell me: what jobs do YOU think would be really fun/interesting to have?