Take Steps for Crohn's & Colitis, Part II

I mentioned last week that my family and I would be participating in Take Steps for Crohn's and Colitis, the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America’s largest fundraising event for the more than 1.4 million American adults and children affected by Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Yesterday, we did just that!



While these events happen across the nation, my youngest sister, Corrie, requested that we all participate in this year's walk in Raleigh. It's always great when my entire family is able to spend time together, but it's even better on the rare occasions when they make the 100+ mile drive to our area of the state!



The weather couldn't have been more perfect as we walked throughout North Carolina State University's Centennial Campus, and although I was disappointed that we weren't able to raise more money to support the efforts being made to find a cure for these chronic diseases, I know that so many people have gone above and beyond to support my family throughout Corrie's hospitalizations and continued recovery. A huge thank you to those of you who donated to the CCFA on behalf of Team Corrie this year!



The "honored hero" at yesterday's walk was an elementary school-aged boy with Crohn's disease who has to receive treatment through an NG tube four nights a week. He had the opportunity to speak before the walk began and talked about his hopes to see a cure for Crohn's and colitis. My favorite line from his speech?

"I don't want to be out here walking when I'm 20, or 30, or 40."

Me neither, buddy. Me neither.



Here's to hoping for a cure. In the meantime, here's to raising awareness about these chronic diseases that affect 1 in 200 people across the nation.