Dixie Classic Fair 2014

The Dixie Classic Fair came to town last week and I couldn't possibly have been more excited to go again. (Finally!) I know that Zach and I went to the Dixie Classic Fair together the first fall we were dating (October 2008), but I'm not sure if I've been back since then. (I really don't think I have. How is that possible?!) We've gone to the North Carolina State Fair in Raleigh, of course, but nothing beats the hometown fair of childhood past :)



We went on Lowes Foods Day, where five non-perishable food items can be exchanged for an admission ticket. All of the donated food goes to the nonprofit that my mom works for, so Zach, my sister Katherine, and my mom volunteered during the afternoon to collect cans (hence the matching orange shirts). The organization ended up collecting almost 63,000 items!



I'll be honest: I don't go to the fair for the rides. (These are my general thoughts on fair rides that have been constructed in the past few days.) However, I absolutely love going to the fair for the food. I mean, who doesn't?

The peeled/cored/sliced apples have been my favorite for as long as I can remember. I'm aware that I could buy a fancy gadget & have unlimited peeled/cored/sliced apples for, like, $30... but it's so much more magical when the man at the fair does it.


Zach had a giant turkey leg for dinner while I decided to try out the Krispy Kreme burger (with bacon) that debuted a few years ago. Not pictured: a rather large batch of deep fried Oreos that we inhaled before any camera could attempt to capture their deliciousness.

Actually, my camera didn't capture much of anything all evening; we were way too caught up in all of the sights and sounds (and smells) as we spent a great deal of time in Yesterday Village, as well as the various arts/crafts and agriculture exhibits. I'm not sure if that makes us old and boring or super awesome... but I'd like to think super awesome.

Perhaps I'll snap a few more photos next year. Regardless, I'll definitely be scouting out a bacon corn dog ;)