Drop/Add

Yes, mom -- I did it. I'm currently in my fifth semester at Duke, and for the first time ever, I made it through drop/add period without dropping or adding a class. You don't understand how big of a deal this is.

Every semester I've been here, I've ended up at least one class that I...well, not necessarily hated, but clearly could not survive & bowed out gracefully before getting in over my head. For example, the Hispanic art history seminar for upperclassmen I found myself in on my first day of college. Not really sure how that happened, except that freshman at Duke register for classes before ever meeting with an advisor. DROP. Then there was my first attempt at a Spanish language class. I lasted two days before realizing that dear ol' Calvary Baptist did nothing to prepare me for Spanish in the real world. DROP. The photography class description was a bit misleading -- it focused a lot more on photo editing & digital imaging... not the $1000+ I would need to spend on camera equipment. DROP. And to be completely honest, I don't even remember what class I dropped last semester, because I never even showed up (I think it was a sociology course?) Yeah. DROP.

Granted, I always added another course in its place, but needless to say, my parents were less than thrilled the first time I called home to inform them of my schedule changes. They weren't really pleased the second time either. Throughout the years, however, they've come to accept the fact that I drop/add like it's my job.

Until this semester. I started classes two weeks ago with 4.5 credits. And in two and a half hours, drop/add will officially end and I will still be enrolled in the exact same classes. For the record, I make no promises for the rest of my time at Duke, but I'm still rather proud of this accomplishment :)