Groundhog Day

Not gonna lie -- Groundhog Day is legitimately my favorite holiday. Granted, I don't bust out my groundhog soaps for the occasion, nor do I make a batch of Punxsutawney Phil pudding pops...


...but I once considered knitting a groundhog in a hole (kidding!)


Before I go any further, I'll mention that all of these bizarre pictures were found by doing a simple "groundhog" search on Pinterest. We live in a strange world, people. Also, I'd like to mention that Pinterest should probably make me their new spokesperson, because I can't tell you how many people I know who have gotten a Pinterest account or at least use it as a photo search engine now after I raved about it last month. Like a boss.

Back to Groundhog Day. If I were to make a list of three places in the US to visit before I die, Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania definitely makes the cut. (On Groundhog Day, obviously... I doubt it's really that exciting of a place year round). Seriously. I can't even begin to express the hilarious insanity of this holiday. These are my favorite lines from the Wikipedia article:
• A select group, called the "Inner Circle," takes care of Phil year-round...members of the "Inner Circle" are recognizable by their top hats and tuxedos.

• Groundhogs have a maximum lifespan of 14 years. [However,] Punxsutawney Phil fans say there is only one Phil (all the other groundhog weathermen are impostors), and that he has made weather prognostications for over 121 years.

• [The Punxsutawney Phil fans also] say that every summer, Phil is given a sip of the mysterious Groundhog Elixer, which magically lengthens his life for seven years.

• According to the Groundhog Club, Phil, after making the prediction, speaks to the Club President in "Groundhogese", which only the "Inner Circle" appears to understand, and then his prediction is translated for the entire world.

• During the rest of the year, Phil lives in the town library with his "wife" Phyllis.

Oh. My. Goodness. If all of the above isn't absurd enough, how about the fact that sweet Phil is only correct about 39% of the time. It's okay. If a bunch of strange men in tuxedos and top hats pulled me out of bed way before I planned on getting up, I'd tell them the wrong answer most of the time, too. Who knows? Maybe he's actually getting it right and the "Inner Circle" isn't as good at translating "Groundhogese" as they claim to be.

I'm serious about roadtripping up to Punxsutawney one February. Can you just imagine the hoards of strange people who travel up there for "Breakfast with Phil" and "Autograph Signing with the Members of the Inner Circle"? Oh, the stories! Plus, since Phil apparently doesn't die, I have a bit longer to check that one off my list, unlike going to the Live with Regis & Kelly show (it's only been two weeks since Regis announced he's retiring this year---I'm still too upset to talk about it.) Regardless, I think it's beyond hysterical that an event like Groundhog Day gets printed on all the calendars and planners along with Christmas and Easter and Independence Day. If only they'd start giving us the day off of school...

And, in case you missed it yesterday, Phil did NOT see his shadow (which is actually pretty rare) so apparently we're in for an early spring! Thank goodness. I am so over breaking out in hives whenever I walk to class because of my allergy to the cold.