I Can't Help It. I'm an INFJ

All the psychology majors in the world just got really excited when they read the title of this post. I'm not a psychology major. I've actually never taken a psychology course before in my life. But at some point in my life, I remember being subjected to the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator assessment. Naturally, it revealed what we've all known for ages: I am an INFJ. Not just an INFJ---I'm the poster child for the INFJs. It's the rarest of the 16 personality types (you can read more about it here), but currently all you need to know is that INFJs are "highly complex... sometimes puzzling even to themselves. They have an orderly view toward the world, but are internally arranged in a complex way that only they can understand."

Fact. I think one of the best examples of my INFJ-ness would be on my recent trip to Bridgewater. I passed a sign in North Carolina that said I was in Person County. (Mind you, I was still going the right direction at this point...) From there, this was my rapid train of thought:

"Person County. I didn't know there was a Person County in North Carolina. I guess I knew that at one point in my life, though, because I had to memorize all 100 counties and be able to label them in 4th grade. That was probably the most pointless thing. What teacher makes a nine year old memorize a HUNDRED counties? The worst thing is... I still remember most of them in the order I studied them. Ashe. Alleghany. Surry. Watauga. Wilkes. Yadkin. Yancy. Mitchell. Avery. Caldwell. Alexander...those are all in the mountains. Lincoln is also a county in the mountains. I remember that because around the same time we were learning these in school, someone got married in Lincoln County and we went to the wedding. I was excited because I knew exactly where we were. Who on earth do we know that lives in Lincoln County...?"

At this point, I called mom to ask her what wedding we went to in Lincoln County when I was nine years old. She had no idea.

If that story makes you thankful that you're not an INFJ, just know that Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King Jr., & Nelson Mandela were all INFJs as well. It's secretly the awesome people category.

All of that just to say: this post is utterly random to the rest of the world, but it's all very much connected in my mind. I can't help it---I'm an INFJ. I need a t-shirt that says that. It would explain so much.


First Utterly Random (To The Rest Of The World, But Very Much Connected In My Mind) Point: I like Google.

I think they're really funny, in the same way I thought the Social Network was really funny (I can't help it---I'm an INFJ). They're clever & creative & I just really like them. Yesterday, they pulled two April Fools' Day jokes. The first one was the introduction of Gmail Motion video. As a 21-year-old college student, I'm used to hearing the standard "I'm pregnant" April Fools' prank, with the occasional "We're engaged" or "We broke up" thrown in. I don't believe any of those, obviously. But the Gmail Motion threw me for a loop. After I watched it, I honestly said, "Is this a joke?" It only took me a second to remember it was April Fools' Day, but still. Well played, Google.

Their other joke was MADE for the design world. If you typed "Helvetica" in the search bar, all of the fonts on the page instantly turned into Comic Sans. Again, well played, Google.


(That feature length independent film about Helvetica they're referencing? Yeah. I've seen it. More than once. I can't help it---I'm an INFJ.)

While I have my little venue to reach a few hundred people, I'm going to get really passionate about typeface design for a minute and just point out that if Comic Sans wasn't the biggest joke font before (although it was), it definitely is now. Don't use it. And don't use Papyrus.


Where were we?

Oh yeah, Google. I love it. I think I've loved it ever since they did a tribute to René Magritte back in 2008.


I can't help it---I'm an INFJ.

I never really pay attention to the suggestions that Google offers when you're searching for things, but one particularly jumped out at me earlier.


For the record, I was searching for "How to sign an art print," since there's always a lot of rules that go along with that (only use pencil, edition number goes in the bottom left, signature goes in the bottom right, label A/P if artist proof, etc.), but apparently there's a lot of people in the world searching for sign ups for I Used To Be Fat. And... it made me giggle.


Second Utterly Random (To The Rest Of The World, But Very Much Connected In My Mind) Point: I need an activator.

Activator: "One who can make things happen by turning thoughts into action. They are often impatient."

While the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator assessment is pretty cool, I got to take Gallup's StrengthQuest at the beginning of the year as part of RA training & it's for sure my favorite. Most personality tests ask questions like "When you are in a crowded room, do you normally prefer to be the center of attention or quietly off to the side?" Then they tell you if you're an introvert or extrovert, as if they just made the most mind-blowing discovery about who you are. But the StrengthQuest assessment asks questions like "Would you rather eat a Tootsie Pop or a Starburst?" and then it tells you that you love reading and yoga and your favorite movie is Beauty and the Beast... and it's right! Mind. Blown.

StrengthQuest identifies your five greatest strengths & then tells you how to best utilize them. In the three page report, it said:
- "Partner with someone with a strong Activator theme. Together you will make many decisions, and these decisions will be sound."
- "Partner with someone with a strong Activator theme. This person can remind you that you do not discover the future; you create it with the actions that you take today."
- "Partner with someone with a strong Activator theme. With this person's need for action and your need for anticipation, you can forge a powerful partnership.

Apparently, StrengthQuest thinks I don't get much accomplished without a lot of poking & prodding. *Sigh* They're right.

However, I think it's safe to say that I've found my Activator...


One week later...



While I may give her a hard time about it, Tina really does keep me on the ball. (I need her to come and live with me when I have to write papers...) SO, since I was on call last night and had to stay in the dorm, I designed a print specifically for my Etsy shop that I am going to have ready to sell by the end of this weekend (hence why I was looking up how to sign an art print).

And I'm really excited about it!

I have a few other prints that I've had designed for a while, so we'll see if my silkscreens cooperate & maybe I can incorporate them into my Etsy shop as well.

(No need to go clicking on the Etsy tab at the top of the page yet. I promise nothing is there. Although nobody ever listens to me...)

I'm off to the art studio. If the anticipation is absolutely killing you, just remember that life could always be worse. You could be an INFJ too :)