Pre-Deployment Training: Mojave Viper

Recently, a lot of people have been asking me about Zach as the 1st Battalion, 9th Marines finish up their last bit of pre-deployment training before heading to Afghanistan next month. Although I promise that you probably know as much as I do at this point, I figured I'd go ahead & give a little update.


(I think I just succeeded in making a graphic that's not overly-girly. SO proud; that never happens.)

Zach's unit is currently in the Mojave Desert in Twentynine Palms, California. They've been out there since March 27 & will probably come back to NC the first week in May, although nobody actually has the slightest clue---the Marine Corps likes to operate under a "need to know" basis.

I got to talk to him once during the first week he was out there, and despite the fact that the majority of our conversation was, "I didn't understand anything you just said..." (the reception is not so great, clearly), it was still nice to hear his voice. They changed FOBs (Forward Operating Bases) this week & there's no electricity, so that means no communication of any form until he's back on the east coast... whenever that may be.

No worries. In the meantime, I have this precious little picture as my cell phone background to keep me company:



Yep, that's my boyfriend :)

And in case you think that cuddling with a stuffed polar bear is un-manly, here's a little video that shows what goes on at Mojave Viper.


(If not the entire thing, watch from 0:15-2:45)

You gotta admit... that's pretty awesome. Zach used to call me all the time from the ranges when he worked at SOI and that's exactly what it sounded like in the background (specifically around 2:11). I'm so proud of Zach & everything he does, and I can't wait to get through these last few weeks of school so I can see him one more time before 2012!

See, told you --- not much to update on given the whole lack of communication thing, but now you officially know everything I do :)

I've mentioned before, I don't talk about the Marine Corps & deployment all the time because (1) I have serious problems with the girls who do nothing but whine about how miserable it is, and even though I'm not whining at all, I don't want to be associated with that whatsoever, & (2) the few times I have talked about it are the few times that I don't get any feedback, so I naturally assumed that nobody wanted to hear about it. However, in talking with a bunch of people recently, I learned that it's actually something most people want to know more about; they're just a little hesitant to ask! That's what I get for assuming, huh?

So, as always, you can feel free to ask me anything, Marine Corps-related or not :)


Happy Wednesday :)