Rock Climbing

In order to drive adventure units on trips at Camp Bethel, you have to be at least 21 years old. In addition, every offsite trip must be accompanied by an individual who is Wilderness & Remote First Aid certified. Since I meet both of these requirements, I get the opportunity to go on many adventure trips throughout the summer---mostly horseback riding, whitewater rafting, etc., with a little bit of canoeing, float fishing, and tubing thrown in.

One trip I have never been on, however, is rock climbing.

One trip I have never WANTED to go on... is also rock climbing.


True confession time: I'm not afraid of heights, believe it or not. But I'm not gonna lie... the thought of climbing/repelling almost 100 feet makes my palms a little sweaty. The thought of climbing up a cliff WITH really sweaty palms... I feel like that's the recipe for disaster, right? Nothing good can come from that.

I had expressed my concern to other individuals in the past who told me all about the chalk that rock climbers use. Um, 10+ year competitive gymnast here. I know all about chalk. I also know how rapidly my overly-active sweat glands can go through chalk. Rock climbing is just not in the cards for me.



But during our leadership staff meeting last Sunday afternoon, our boss asked who wanted to drive the rock climbing trip. Two of the four qualified people were already out due to other obligations during the week (high ropes facilitating, packing out meals, etc.) and the other had already agreed to drive a different trip earlier in the week.

All eyes fell on me.

The next thing I knew, I opened my mouth... and agreed to drive the senior high adventure rock climbing trip.



I knew it'd be fun. I love challenges. I love the outdoors. I love adventure trips & campers & going offsite for the day. I expected to have a wonderful day... nothing more.

I never expected to fall head-over-heels in love with rock climbing.


fellow Camp Bethel staff member -- Matt

My former elementary campers all grown up: Sarah & Christa

Another former elementary camper, Danielle (goodness, I'm getting OLD!)

Yet again... another former elementary camper, Robert


And thus, I got to spend the entire day hiking in the Shenandoah Valley, rock climbing at Goshen Pass, and repelling down the side of a 85-foot cliff.

And (in the most humble way possible), I was pretty darn good at it! I'm really athletic & flexible, which proved to be the perfect combination for beasting it up the side of that mountain :)


I had such a fabulous time... that I'm doing it again this week! So pumped!



Be on the look out for more rock climbing pictures. I'm addicted. Entirely addicted. As in, I wanna buy rock climbing shoes and gear and do it on the weekends during the school year. So not lying. I have officially been bitten by the rock climbing bug & it's not going away any time soon.

And as far as the whole sweaty palm thing goes... I didn't even need chalk. Take that, Goshen Pass. I'm ready for round two :)