Every Pretty Girl Deserves To Go To A Ball

Today is the United States Marine Corps' birthday! (236th birthday, to be exact!)

One of these days, that will mean that I get to get all dressed up & go with Zach to the birthday ball again, but for now, it means that I get super reminiscent as I pull out all of my old pictures from the 234th birthday ball back in 2009...



...and pretend that I'm sitting in a grand ballroom wearing a super pretty dress instead of lounging in my bed in Zach's old pajama pants. It means that I browse the Web for pictures from this past week of the Commandant cutting the 236th birthday cake in Washington, D.C...


[via]

...and pretend that I'm freaking out over seeing that awesome sword in person for the first time. And it means that I watch the 236th Marine Corps Birthday Message via YouTube, (despite the impending "moto" accusations from my loving boyfriend)...





...and pretend that I'm watching it on a giant screen surrounded by hundreds of Marines who whoop & holler & yell a plethora of moto things throughout the entire twelve minutes, because that's what they do, and that's why I love them :)

It's true: the USMC Birthday Ball is grand & I absolutely adore it. I love the atmosphere and the energy and the sense of pride that goes along with celebrating something so great. But you know what? I don't only feel that sense of pride at the ball; I feel it every time I see "afghanistanPHONE" pop up on my cell and I'm reminded of why I won't be attending a ball this year.

Because today is about a lot more than dressing up and dancing and eating really good food. It's about celebrating a "rich heritage of selfless service and fidelity to Nation and to one another," [via] and I'm pretty sure I can do that while curled up in my bed in a pair of old pajama pants, talking to my favorite Marine who just happens to be 7,000 miles away :)

Happy 236th Birthday, Marines, & Semper Fidelis! :)

• • • • •

PS: This time of year is always just a grand ol' celebration/time of remembrance for the military, because not only is today the Marine Corps' birthday, but tomorrow is Veterans' Day! Let's be honest: I probably won't ever be able to top last year's Veterans' Day post, so I'm linking it up. Check it out; it's good :)


[via]