Countdown All The Things

About six weeks into my freshman year of college, I started the countdown to my graduation. I realized that I may have jumped the gun a bit on that one, but a widget on my laptop kept track of the remaining days for me, and found itself frequently joined by dozens of other countdowns: days until spring break, days until staff training at Camp Bethel, days until Zach came home from Afghanistan, etc.


I suppose there is something fundamentally unhealthy about always anticipating something better, but that's neither here nor there. I really do enjoy whatever current life season I'm in; I just also enjoy looking ahead at what is to come, particularly when it includes as many super exciting life events as I'm about to encounter during the next three months.


With that being said, here is a glimpse at the current countdowns in my life:





I work at a statewide non-profit organization, and this is our largest fundraiser of the year! Needless to say, a lot of the work that I have been doing revolves around this event, and I'm incredibly excited to watch it all come to life. Zach and I will be participating and created our own fundraising team - if everyone who reads this post donates $5 to children with autism, Zach and I will reach our goal of $500 in under an hour. (I didn't think that was a terribly ambitious goal when I set it, but I've quickly learned otherwise. Thank you to those of you who have already donated and prevented my faith in humanity from shattering completely!)



 

This is a big deal only because I make it a big deal. My family receives a text every Tuesday telling them how many weeks remain until I turn 23 on the 23rd :) You would think they'd roll their eyes at such antics, but my father actually texted me yesterday when I hadn't sent out the reminder before 11AM.



 

The beginning of the end, folks. Once Zach turns in his CIF gear, we are infinitely closer to being DONE with the Marine Corps! No more ranges, no more hikes, & no more field ops... oorah ;)





As excited as I am to be done with all things Marine Corps (and you'd better believe Zach Jones is 1000x more excited - it's like Marine Corps Senioritis has set in or something), I will undoubtedly be in love with the Marine Corps on the night of the ball. It's pure magic - pure, moto magic. I've waited three years for this one, and I can't believe it's getting so close!






Zach's terminal leave kicks in the last month of November, which means he'll be DONE with base life. He has enough leave days stored up to spend his last five weeks in the Marine Corps at home - score! :)






Oh, hey: I'm getting married!




 

I've been counting down the days to Zach's EAS for three years now, completely unaware that I was also counting down until the week of my wedding. "EAS" stand for end of active service, which is when Zach will be 100% done with the Marine Corps. That's right: I get to spend my first week of married life being married to an active duty United States Marine... and then I get to spend the rest of my life being married to a veteran. I think that's pretty cool :)