Let's Talk About Pinterest

Let the record show that rarely am I ever on the cutting edge of trendy, but three years ago, I was one of the first few thousand people to create a Pinterest account while the site was still in beta... and now there are 70 million users. Boom. I don't even remember how I stumbled upon the site since nobody had heard of it at the time, but it seemed like a great way to eliminate having countless bookmarks in my web browser and a folder on my desktop filled with screenshots of wedding inspiration.



I absolutely loved it for the first year or so until it turned into a cultural phenomenon. (Meh.) Since then, I've used the site much less frequently and only as a creativity/inspiration board (or bookmarks for websites and articles that I know I'll want to revisit) as opposed to the more popular "this-is-my-Martha-Stewart-life" approach. Nonetheless, nearly 1,300 people think I'm worth following despite the fact that there isn't a single recipe, workout routine, hairstyle/outfit, or Elf on the Shelf pin to be found amongst my boards ;)

Here are some of my favorites:




Let's Build a House
. First and foremost, Zach and I have zero plans to build or buy a house in the next couple of years (just like we have zero plans to have children in the next couple of years, so we can all stop asking that question). However, I love learning more about myself and my style by looking back at the house-related images I've pinned over the years; I've discovered that I have really strong preferences! Apparently, I'm attracted to rustic hardwood floors and wooden beams (no surprise there), and I'm obsessed with neutrals in home decor (um, what? who knew?!). I'm also clearly not a parent, because nothing about these images screams kid-friendly (white furniture?)! :)

I'm not under the illusion that my house is going to look exactly like this down the road (especially on the budget of a nonprofit artist and a police officer), but I like knowing that I do actually tend to lean toward a certain aesthetic when it comes to interior design. I'm not sure why that excites me so much, but as a girl who is not the least bit concerned with style in regards to clothes or jewelry, I'm stoked to know that I have a preferred style of home decor.





Let's Say Awesome Stuff
. Once again, I love looking at all of the quotes on my board as a collection and finding patterns and preferences amongst the images. I never realized it, but it makes sense: the majority of my favorite quotes pertain to art, design, and/or coffee! I'm currently having an inner battle regarding which quote to adopt as my life motto, although I'm pretty sure unicorns trump all. This board also has occasional quotes from TV shows (Friends, New Girl, One Tree Hill) or books (specifically The Perks of Being a Wallflower) thrown in.

Some of my favorite praise- and worship-related quotes can be found on my Let's Praise Jesus board.





Let's Map Things Out
. Hands down, one of my favorite college classes was "Maps as Art." From a practical standpoint, I love the science and design involved in cartography. From an artistic standpoint, I absolutely love the aesthetic created when incorporating maps into art. This board features a lot of images from my top three favorite map-loving artists - Paula Scher, Amelle Caron, and Jasper Johns - as well as other artwork and decor inspired by maps. I'm obsessed :)





Let's Get Moto
. What's a military veteran's wife without her patriotic inspiration board? ;) This board is full of all things red, white, and blue, and while the majority of the images are purely motivational, I absolutely love this project by photographer Claire Felicie, this project by Oh Penelope Photography, and these nearly 100-year-old images by Arthur Mole and John Thomas. Trust me, all three of those links are definitely worth checking out! It's no wonder my senior capstone project in college was military-themed; I love discovering the story beyond the images.


---


And there's a glimpse at how I use Pinterest! Feel free to click over for something a little different, you know, if your feed has reached its limit of DIY door wreaths and "Another pinner said, 'Wow! This is the best casserole dish I've ever tasted!'" ;)