Deployment: Week 21 & 22


Week 22 isn't completely over yet, but I'm so excited that I couldn't wait until Sunday to post a deployment update.

• • • • •

Ladies & gentlemen, it has been exactly 150 days since Zach deployed to Afghanistan & since I last saw him. During that time, I couldn't tell you how many times we've attempted to Skype. Literally, I could not tell you, because the number of failed Skype chats is so ridiculously high that I've lost count. It's always something --- there aren't any webcams available in the MWR, he's on another FOB that doesn't have Skype, there's a freak sandstorm in the desert that messes with the internet connection (no big deal), I can't get a strong enough internet connection (it's happened...), etc.

But, on magical day #150, everything finally clicked:



...and we were able to Skype for the FIRST time since deployment started five months ago!


Ahh, check out those blue eyes :)


It was great to finally be able to see each other, even if a significant portion of our time was spent CRACKING UP at a guy in the background who kept looking over his shoulder and staring at Zach's computer screen. I never could seem to catch him in the act, but he was clearly unaware that we could totes see him creeping.



Too funny.

Throughout this deployment, I've constantly been reminded of the words in Romans 8:26-28: "Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter... He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.

There are a lot of "something goods" resulting from this time apart; I am confident of that. I am also incredibly grateful for what God is doing in our lives and will undoubtedly continue to do.

Last bit of exciting news: WE RECEIVED A CUT-OFF DATE FOR MAIL! While the return dates aren't completely set in stone yet, the end is in site :) All mail/packages have to be sent before November 1 (it actually has to be at the port of departure in New Jersey by November 1) to ensure that the boys receive everything with plenty of time to pack it up & begin their journey home. I can't believe that we're 70% done with this and already talking about tentative return dates! Thank you, God!


Once again, if you want to squeeze in one last letter in the next couple of weeks, the address is:

LCpl Jones Zacharie K
1st BN 9th MAR H&S Armory
Unit 74095
FPO AE 09510-4095

(It's also still posted under the "Deployment" tab :))


I get so excited to share things like this with you lovely blog readers! You've all been so supportive & encouraging from the very beginning, and I love being able to post updates that show answers to prayers -- your prayers -- from the past year. Your comments mean the world to me, and I can't thank you enough for your continued love & support! Oorah :)