Our 2014 Christmas Card

I've been dreaming of sending out my own Christmas cards for the last, oh, twenty or so years... ever since my sisters and I spent multiple afternoons around our kitchen table signing our names as small children (remember this post from last year?). Zach and I couldn't manage to get out of the 2014 Haynes family Christmas card photo, but we branched out and sent our own cards for the first time this year.

There's no turning back now!


On the front of the card, I used a photo that Zach actually took during one of our February snow days (aka, the left side of this photo. Ha!) Then, I brush scripted (is that a verb?) some of the lyrics from my favorite Christmas hymn – "O Come, All Ye Faithful" – and laid it over the photo. I was intentional to not include anything like "Christmas 2014" or "Love, the Jones family" on the front so I could put it in a frame and make some easy Christmas decor for years to come :)


On the other side, I created a kraft-paper-meets-gold-glitter texture for the background and brush scripted a "merry Christmas & happy new year" message along with our signature "Xo, beth & zach." Then I filled the space in between with some reflections from the past year... I don't know about you, but I always enjoy reading other people's Christmas letters, even if I've been in touch with them all year long!

It took this wordy girl quite a bit of editing, but I was able to squeeze in our 2014 highlights: my new job at the magazine, our move from Cary to Winston-Salem, Zach's two-week road trip out west for the Church of the Brethren National Youth Conference, Zach's graduation with his degree in criminal justice + plans for the future, and our upcoming two-year wedding anniversary, (whew!) along with some sappy sentiments for all those we hold dear :)


I created a little "please deliver to" and "lots of love from" graphic and printed out the address directly onto brown kraft envelopes. The only thing left after that was lots (and lots) of stuffing, sealing, stamping, and sending :)

Maybe one of these days, Santa will hook me up with some textured photography backdrops for my mini still-life shoots, but until then, I'm being creative with what I've got: wrapping paper and yoga mats, folks ;)

I had so much fun making these, and I had even more fun opening our little mailbox throughout December to find it filled with envelopes stuffed with love and well wishes. Here's to hoping ALL of your days are merry and bright! Xo!



Details:
Cards: designed by me, printed onto 14 pt ultra-thick card stock with matte coating on both sides & trimmed to 5" x 7" by Next Day Flyers
Envelopes: plain kraft envelopes ordered from JAM Paper; designed + printed by me on our Lexmark S415