Out With The Old...

I keep feeling the need to do some sort of "2011 recap/happy new year" blog post, but with each day that passes, I begin to wonder if that's still acceptable or if it's just too late. It is January 11, after all.

Eh, post all the things, right? :)

With that being said, I sat down this week and made a list of all the things I did for the FIRST time ever in 2011... and oh my goodness, there were a lot! I capped the list at 22, simply because I'm 22 years old, so it's currently my favorite number. But I probably could have kept going if I really wanted to do so. Who knew 2011 brought along so many new experiences?


"The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun." - Jon Krakauer, author of Into the Wild


During 2011, I did/tried/experienced the following for the first time ever:

1. Visited the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh



2. Tried sushi. Fell in love with sushi. Started incorporating sushi into my diet at least 2-3 times a week :)


3. Served on the Pilgrimage team & helped plan/execute the Pilgrimage faith-based retreat



4. Took my first (semi-unsuccessful) solo road trip to Bridgewater to visit friends (and make new ones!)



5. Sold my first art prints on Etsy



6. Went through my first Marine Corps deployment with Zach. You know, in case you missed it...


7. Got my WFA (Wilderness First Aid) certification. Guess who can save your life if you're ever severely injured in the middle of absolutely nowhere, hours (or even days) away from help? Oh, yeah. This girl.


8. Worked as the Summer Program Coordinator for three months at Camp Bethel (and had some incredibly glamorous photos taken of myself while doing so...)



9. Went rock-climbing. More than once :)



10. Biked the entire Virginia Creeper Trail


11. Held a rattlesnake rattle. I realize this doesn't sound as epic as many of the others on the list, but it was a rather cool moment.


12. Became a senior in college



13. Joined a small group through the Summit Church


14. Applied for and accepted a position as an intern with the Duke Innovative Design Agency


15. Started learning how to play the ukulele



16. Took my first ever solo plane ride!



17. Visited my cousins in Florida during fall break



18. Photographed my first few engagement/family sessions



19. Skyped on an iPad (used an iPad for the first time, period)



20. Went to a David Crowder Band concert



21. Helped plan & host my parents' 25th wedding anniversary party



22. Experienced my first ever deployment homecoming :)


2011 also marked my baby blog's first birthday and was my first full year of blogging, capturing the ups & downs and pivotal & seemingly insignificant moments from January through December. As far as all the new experiences I plan to have in 2012, well... you'll just have to wait until my next post to find out all about that. But I assure you, 2012 has got some BIG things in store :)